Tuesday 5 November 2013

Why Do I Put Up With This?



It is early November and we are in Central Florida about a two minute walk to the ocean. The temperate is 32 degrees Celsius compared to 32 degrees Fahrenheit in Winnipeg. It’s that disparity that prompted Lorna to ask how anyone decided that Winnipeg should ever be inhabited. I feebly defended the prairies by suggesting there was good agriculture and mining. Not sure who I was arguing with – her or me, however this led us into a couple of interesting questions.

1. How did we get here?

This question caused us to trace our lineage to the emigration of our ancestors from the British Isles, enticed by offerings of hope, happiness, wealth and a future. We couldn’t figure out why they didn’t consider their descendants being stuck in five months of snow. But I digress. We talked about we were each reached with the good news of Jesus Christ and then how we connected with each other. (How was I so fortunate and what happened that Lorna ended up in this situation?) We discovered that a myriad of small decisions made by a myriad of people directed us to a country, city, community and a house where we have lived for over forty years; which led us to the next question.

2. Why do we stay here?

The beach lines of Florida are dotted signs and real estate offices adverting us to homes where we can escape the relentless discomforts of winter. And yes it is tempting. So why don’t we cave? It comes down to one word – family; children, grandchildren, church family and community. Those relational bonds tie us to shoveling over snorkeling, cold winds rather than warm breezes and command starts to warm our cars instead of cooling them.

Here’s the point. I am where I am because of choices I have made and continue to make. Life is more meaningful when I ponder the options and decide that I’ll stick with what I have - thank you. When I was sixteen years old my Dad told me that I could have anything in life if I wanted it bad enough. What I have continued to learn is that he was so right. I have discovered that what I say I want, I don’t want nearly as much as I think I do. I want it, but I’m not prepared to pay the price.

Now if I can just remember that when I get home.

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog. Well put. Sometimes an escape helps us realize and appreciate being grounded. That being said, if you would like to place a downpayment on a condo for me, I would be eternally grateful. :)

    ReplyDelete